What you don’t know can hurt you!
By now you’ve heard about GMOs (genetically modified organisms) in our food supply, but do you really know what they are and how they may be affecting you? It’s your right to know, and we’re here with the cold hard facts.
What is GMO & what is it in?
Genetically Modified Organisms are used to change the DNA of a living organism. Organisms such as plants (like grains, fruits, and veggies) are hybrid to resist crop diseases and pests, enhance nutritional content, and create a prolonged ripeness that would result in produce that can be left on the shelf longer. Much GMO produce looks healthier (shinier tomatoes, larger apples, deeper colors, without worm holes) which is appealing to the consumer, but all of this comes at a cost to our health.
GMOs are present in over half of all processed foods. More than 85% of all soy and corn grown is genetically modified which means most likely any processed food containing these ingredients that isn’t labeled Organic is GMO. Sugar beets, dairy products, and canola oil are also highly GMO.
Why Is Labeling Such A Big Deal?
Some of the biggest (and quite possibly your favorite) food names out there aren’t using organics, and are chalk full of GMOs. Foods like Kashi Cereals, Zone/ Quaker/ Cliff/ Fiber One and various other snack bars, “healthy” snacks we feed our children like Wheat Thins and Goldfish and many others foods are produced with GMO ingredients and will have to create special “GMO” labeled packages for all of their food sold in California OR we can hope by consumer demand they may consider creating a superior, organic product.
Why You Should Avoid GMO
- GMO foods may be making you fat faster, AND be detrimental to your liver health. Lab rats fed GMO food not only gained about 4% more body weight but also had up to an 11% increase in liver weight (toxins are stored in ye’ liver and ye’ fat cells). We’re using GMO grain to fatten up livestock, and unfortunately we’re eating that same grain that’s purposed to make cows fat faster. What do you think that’s doing to you?
- GMOs have been known to create allergies to foods you’d otherwise not be sensitive to. Why all of the sudden are tomatoes, or tomato juice/soup bothering you…they never did before? Maybe it’s the gene from mussels that’s now in them? This goes for any food altered with genetic engineering. You just no longer know what’s REALLY in the food.
- GMOs have possibly risky and highly unknown long term side effects in our bodies. They may create super viruses, have been shown to create allergies, bacteria, and the toxic residues from the herbicides and insecticides in them or that are sprayed on them are linked to cancer.
- GMOs are contaminating our organic crops. Pollinating bees can carry the genes from a GMO plant to a non GMO Organic farm, contaminating them. If this continues to happen, all crops will eventually become hybrids.
- GMO creates more toxic herbicide usage on our food supply. Since many of the GMO plants are herbicide tolerant (they resist weed killer) farmers use even more herbicides to kill the now herbicide resistant “Super Weeds” that are growing by them. In the end, more toxic chemicals are going on our food supply, onto our plates, into our mouths, and contaminating our bodies. Toxins mar up our bodies, fatten up our fat cells, pollute our liver, dull our mind, and may be the cause of fatigue in your body.
- GMOs harm the environment. They effect birds, insects, marine ecosystems, and soil organisms. They’ve been shown to effect the organs of these small species in minute doses and GM crops have caused a 50% decline in habitat establishment for monarch butterflies….that’s just the stats on ONE of the thousands of species that are effected by GMOs (you being one of them.)
What To Shop For When Avoiding GMO
- Shop for Certified Organic Foods
- ORGANIC Dairy Products and look for rennet free cheese.
- ONLY ORGANIC Soy, Corn, Canola and Cottonseed Oils – most of these are highly GMO
- AVOID processed foods. When you do buy a packaged food make sure the labels reads “organic” and even then there is no guarantee. If the label reads “Made with organic products” it may only contain only 70% organic ingredients. Better yet, stay away from processed foods altogether.
- Buy Vitamin supplements WITHOUT Corn or Soy Listed in the Ingredients
- Choose only ORGANIC and Humanely raised Meat, Poultry, & Eggs